It’s been a whirlwind few weeks. Both my husband and I were on vacation, though we were probably even busier than when we aren’t on vacation. We had three Christmas celebrations (one at home and then one with each side of the family), had a horrible cold run through the house (which turned into an ear infection for Little Spark), had several play dates, and went out to dinner on New Year’s Eve.
Our living room is finally picked up (mostly) and no longer has pieces of every toy my son received strewn all over the floor. We do, however, have a huge train track taking up a quarter of the room. New location of this is to be determined once the Christmas decorations are packed up. Unfortunately, it’s too large for our new train table, but maybe we can work something out with it.
My husband and I got an XBox 360, which has already gotten some good use. I’ve already played my way through the mini-game Costume Quest, which Little Spark got a kick out of watching. We’ve also been playing Lego Batman. We got the kiddo Kinectimals, so that he has a kid-friendly game, and today my copies of Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 should be arriving (I just need to play my way through Final Fantasy XII on the Playstation before I begin those).
Getting the game system probably seems counter-intuitive to the fact that I want to be more active this coming year, but this is really why I made sure we got the one with the Kinect. I have already played some of the Adventure Game, as well as the Dance Central 2 game that came with the console. After 3 dance numbers, I was worn out (this goes to show you how out of shape I am…yikes!).
For 2013, I have a few goals, and I’m hoping to blog my progress on them:
- Get at least an hour of exercise a week. I know that this isn’t a lot, but since I’m currently getting zero exercise a week, I want to start at a small, achievable target. I am going to count Kinect games as acceptable to this. Walking to the subway station is also acceptable, which I will hopefully start doing again when it gets a bit warmer.
- Less TV time before bed. This is mostly for my son’s benefit. We have been doing too much actual “sit down and veg” tv time. My goal for this will be to do no more than 30 minutes on work nights, 1 1/2 hours on weekends. Family movie times will not count against this, as we do them less than once a week.
- Bring lunch to work at least once a week
- Donate to a charity or non-profit each month ($50 or more)
- Add money to Little Spark’s savings account each week based on the weekly savings as outlined here
- Pay off my credit card
Tonight, the current plan is a trip to the library followed by some Dance Central 2 or Kids Yoga (whichever I can get Little Spark to be amenable to). After Little Spark’s bedtime, it’ll be time for me to play some Final Fantasy XII.
Tomorrow, it’ll be off to the Farmer’s Market with Little Spark and friend, E. And Sunday, we’re off to a playdate. At some point this weekend, we’ll be taking down the Christmas tree.